Re: [Groff] CVS Build Problem

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: Re: [Groff] CVS Build Problem
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:44:05 +0100

On Monday 25 April 2005 8:11 pm, Larry Jones wrote:
> Werner LEMBERG writes:
> > Perhaps you can try to use `strace' or a similar program.  Then you
> > can check where the files are searched.
>
> Good idea!
>
> For reference, here's the command line from make (ktrace is BSD/OS's
> version of strace):

[ command snipped ]

> groff itself works fine, the first place it looks is in the directory
> specified by -F on the command line, the file exists and is opened
> successfully:

[ ktrace output snipped ]
> But when it forks and execs grn, grn doesn't pay any attention to the
> command line font directories, it only looks in the default places and
> then complains that it can't find the DESC file:

[ ktrace output snipped ]

> Likewise, when it forks and execs troff, troff doesn't pay any attention
> to the command line font directories and only looks in the standard
> places:

[ ktrace output snipped ]

> It appears that groff doesn't pass the command line font directories on
> directly but rather sets an environment variable ($GROFF_FONT_PATH).
> That variable does seem to be set correctly for both grn and troff, but
> they don't seem to be paying any attention to it.  ...

This would appear to be the bug then; strange that it only seems to show up
on BSD, but that could be a red herring.

Obviously we need to fix this properly, but as a temporary work around you
could try a `make install' now (as root); you don't yet have a complete
build, but you *do* have enough to get the binaries, font files and basic
macro files into their default locations.  Then go back and do `make' again,
to complete the build; the DESC file should now be found, because the
interim `make install' will have put it where it is expected to be by
default.  A final `make install' should then complete the process.

HTH.

Regards,
Keith.