Re: [Groff] Fw: ac_ext problems

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Fw: ac_ext problems
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 21:44:06 +0200 (CEST)

> Sorry I didn't follow this thread and exact reason to change.
> I see this as a good reason to leave it as .cc

There are at least two C++ compilers (MSVC and a native OS/390 one)
which can't handle the `.cc' extension, while *all* C++ compilers can
handle `.cpp'.

> c++ -O2     -o tryme tryme.cc
> $ rm tryme
> $ mv tryme.cc tryme.cpp
> $ make tryme
> make: don't know how to make tryme. Stop in /home/zvezdan.
> $ gmake tryme
> g++     tryme.cpp   -o tryme
>
> Obviously only gmake recognizes .cpp as a C++ file on a Unix system.
> With older version of gmake on a different Unix machine .cpp has not
> been recognized.

Whether `make' programs recognize the `.cpp' extension by default is
completely irrelevant for autoconf.  BTW, groff's Makefiles don't use
*any* built-in make rules.