Re: [Groff] grops and Unicode, Unicode in general.

From: Wartan Hachaturow
Subject: Re: [Groff] grops and Unicode, Unicode in general.
Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 23:33:28 +0400

On 5/19/05, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> Volunteers, volunteers!  I'm swamped with other work.

And which approach do you like best? The one you initially proposed -- having
internal Char type or going in wchar_t-transparent direction (we would
get multibyte
input as a bonus)?
The latter seems to me a better approach (judged by standards :), but I'm not
sure about portability issues that may arise (there may still be platforms
out there that still do not have wide characters).

> They aren't stable yet.  The developer has started to play with
> fontforge and changed some metrics so that URW is no longer compatible
> (w.r.t. metrics) with the standard PS fonts.

Hmm. Perhaps, some old release without these issues could be chosen?
These fonts were quite good looking from the very beginning (for my
non-professional eye :).

--
Regards, Wartan.