Re: [Groff] pic bug between 1.18.1 and 1.19.x

From: Zvezdan Petkovic
Subject: Re: [Groff] pic bug between 1.18.1 and 1.19.x
Date: Fri, 17 Jun 2005 04:17:41 -0400

On Fri, Jun 17, 2005 at 09:17:49AM +0200, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Unfortunately, I've never used gpresent, so I can't help here due to
> lack of time.  Please contact the author of this package for
> assistance in debugging.

I did a couple of months ago.
He concluded that it's a groff bug.
And it sounds reasonable.
The same pic works with groff-1.18.x and fails with groff-1.19.x.
Also, it happens only on pics that use for loops.
Now, it could be also that "if" inside a for loop, but I doubt it.
I think I have some pics with "if" where it works just fine.

Your motivation for looking into this bug in understandably low.
I, as a user, certainly have more motivation.
My plan is to compile both versions (1.18.1.1 and 1.19.2pre) and compare
the pic output for the minimal test picture.
I'll also try to extract from CVS the diffs in the pic code between
1.18.x and 1.19.1 which first exhibited such behaviour.
Since I need to concentrate on control structures only, I'll probably be
able to find the bug soon.

Right now I'm busy preparing a presentation for the conference,
so groff-1.18.1.1 will be used. :-)
As soon as I get back I'll look deeper into this.
Hopefully, I'll have something in about two weeks from now.

Best regards,

        ZP