Re: [Groff] Escape characters in -man output

From: Keith MARSHALL
Subject: Re: [Groff] Escape characters in -man output
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:55:51 +0100

Meg McRoberts wrote:
> Thanks, Jorgen, I had missed this -- I'm not technical enough
> to recognize that these *m strings were SGR.  However, I just
> tried adding -c and -C to my groff line and I still have the
> same thing.  Here's my command line:
>
>   groff -mandoc -stC -Tlatin1 tmsplx.xml.5 \
>     | col -b > catman/tmsplx.xml.5

Surely, you don't need "col" here.  I always understood that it
was not required by "groff", and it isn't included in any "groff"
distribution.  Moreover, there's a note in the "man.conf" template
distributed with man-1.5m2 for Linux, that says a combination of
"col" -- from some other source -- with "groff" can actually
*damage* the output.

Try

  groff -mandoc -stc -Tlatin1 -P-c tmsplx.xml.5 \
     > catman/tmsplx.xml.5

HTH.

Regards,
Keith.