Re: [Groff] Re: What's missing for Unicode support of groff?

From: Alejandro López-Valencia
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: What's missing for Unicode support of groff?
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 2005 19:03:04 -0500

> > Werner:
> > > groff can handle only 203 input characters currently.  The *top
> > > priority* for me in converting groff to handle Unicode is to widen
> > > the 8bit input character slot to have a width of 32bit.
> > > Everything else is much less important IMHO.
> >
> Michail:
> > Does it mean that there will be no quick-and-dirty
> > prepocessor-based solution in the short term (before you do it
> > properly)?

Werner:
> What exactly do you mean?  Converting UTF-8 to, say, latin-1 with
> `iconv' is already a quick-and-dirty solution.  Another possibility is
> to take a groff UTF8 font definition file and put all Unicode->glyph
> entities into a big perl (or python) table.

And there are other hacks out there. Take for example, my little vim
keymap scripts at
http://www.vim.org/scripts/script.php?script_id=1051. You are welcome
to use them as an example for what you would need if using vim as your
editor. You can, as well, write an elisp program to run in emacs if
that is your persuasion. Of course, as Werner has pointed out above,
you need to produce the font metrics with the proper character names
(which follows Adobe's specification for the most part).

--
Alejandro López-Valencia