[Groff] Type 1 fonts "dead but twitching"

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: [Groff] Type 1 fonts "dead but twitching"
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:56:40 -0400

Information I just read on a FrameMaker list....

I just got back from the Helsinki ATypI conference, where Tom Phinney,
Adobe's program manager for fonts and core technologies, basically said
that Type 1 fonts are dead (but may take a while to lie down and stop
twitching). Adobe hasn't made any new Type 1 fonts for several years -
everything is OpenType now.

Adobe is scratching its head about offering some kind of upgrade for
people who have Type 1 fonts but there are lots of problems: not least
that most people don't keep their proofs of purchase (and, unsaid, that
many people steal fonts).

I've kicked around a few ideas about how future versions of groff handle fonts, primarily working with the operating system's native font handling & printing APIs. I've never said anything because I don't have the expertise to code up even a proof-of-concept, and IIRC Linux and other Unix-type OSes often leave font & printer handling to the application.

In any case, the current font handler should be at least a compile- time option, because I'm sure it's loads faster than any generalized OS-based handler & there's at least one person out there who depends on groff's raw formatting speed. Could this be kicked to the post- processor? That would be the best of both worlds; choose grops when you value speed over flexibility and gronative (groos? gross?) when it's the other way around.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"