Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start

From: Tadziu Hoffmann
Subject: Re: [Groff] moving TOC to start
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 21:21:59 +0200

> Can a diversion be spit out and fed to another one?

Yes, that's no problem.  The only thing to keep in mind
when "replaying" one diversion into another is to do
this (normally) in no-fill mode, so as not to re-format
already-formatted material.  If you want to save material
unformatted for formatting at a later time, it's better
to use ".de" instead of ".di".

> I understand the current issues being discussed and agree
> they are issues.  But I also understand that roff doesn't do
> widow/orphan processing and the obvious (?) way to do that
> would be with diversions.  Or so I think.  But you'd need to
> layer them.

Widow control is more complicated.  For example, the
concept of "keeping two lines together" implies that
you need a method of counting the lines in a formatted
paragraph.  An experimental method hijacking troff's
automatic line-numbering mechanism (and using diversions)
to do this is explained in this posting:

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/groff/2003-01/msg00024.html