Re: [Groff] Introduction

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Introduction
Date: Mon, 17 Oct 2005 17:31:11 +0200 (CEST)

David,

welcome to the world of groff.

> I have just been made a developer of the groff project to assist
> with your documentation, and with the texinfo manual, (and perhaps
> your website?).

Please do so!  For testing and educational purposes, the web site is
directly created by groff from `webpage.ms' (and `groff.css').

> [...] I purposely wanted to see the havic it would cause, and how
> groff handled under OpenBSD, considering its particular
> configurations, and that was the one problem (the escape sequences
> with the manual) that I didn't seem able to configure with groff at
> compile time, (though I wouldn't be surprised that I overlooked
> something).

Everything's fine now?

> Regarding the groff documentation, I would like to spend some time
> getting to know of all you, getting a feel for this list and this
> project, before diving into working on improving our documentation.
> Your suggestions--warm or coldly technical, scathingly critical or
> gently suggestive--are welcome and needed so that I can serve you
> best.

Only a non-asked question is a dumb question.  Most of us are far too
involved already to be able to answer beginner's questions in a way
which can be understood by the non-experienced too.

It might be a good idea to read the groff texinfo manual and noting
all passages which aren't clear by the first reading.  Since I'm
Austrian, I tend to write too long sentences, as all German speaker
normally do...