Re: [Groff] Introduction

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] Introduction
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:04:03 -0400

Working down the backlog...

I spend my days writing large, complex, highly-technical
documents in Word for this reason.  It's quite ugly, but
we have to have documents that sales people and engineers
and such can extract and "repurpose"...  And young engineers
don't know how to roff any more than the salespeople do ;-(

I've been fiddling with OpenOffice lately. It's not a beauty, but it's
sturdy and does a pretty good job importing & exporting Word
files. I've literally had cases where OpenOffice had better luck
with a seriously gnarly Word file than did Word itself.

How this all relates to *roff... well, extraction & repurposing of
existing documents requires a basic interchange format. It
doesn't have to be Word; it just has to be something Word can
open and deal with. Like HTML.

The output from grohtml is good enough, or can be with just
a little help, that Word should be able to open it easily. I just
tried opening a test HTML file in OpenOffice 1.x and it actually
looked pretty good. Now getting back to groff from ODF, that
will take a little more work....

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"