Re: [Groff] Introduction

From: D. E. Evans
Subject: Re: [Groff] Introduction
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:32:16 -0600 (MDT)

   For my editing work I also use joe, not emacs :-) But the built-in
   Lisp interpreter of emacs allows to do mighty things...

This brings up a funny story from when I first started as chief
webmaster.  There's several files on fencepost (there used to be
*lots* of files, including on the FTP server, but alas no longer)
that have to be modifed, and not having been told that RCS
logging was being done through Emacs (with permissions
adjustments), I would roll happily through the changes with nvi,
and then get tons of nasty emails asking for me to adjust
permissions back, and *please* use Emacs.

I've used solely the old fashioned (and Berkeley) vi for so long
(7 years?) that when I get into another word processor I
automatically hit ESC even as I remind myself that I'm not in vi.
It gets to a point where you can do everything 3 times as fast in
vi than elsewhere.

However, after having configured some systems for the University
of Utah (during the Olympics) for some of the math geeks, I
realized how popular Emacs is, and how insane one has to be to
learn vi at first.  But when it comes to computing, I'm often
told I'm a masochist.  I'm an OpenBSD user after all...

...plus, I love plain TeX and ditroff, too.