Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend

From: Gaius Mulley
Subject: Re: [Groff] XML and groff as frontend
Date: 20 Oct 2005 12:07:31 +0100

"D. E. Evans" <address@hidden> writes:

> However, I think that using groff to write your webpage, or as a
> front end for various document formats, is probably misdirected.
> DocBook, word processors, LaTeX (in some cases), and so on are much
> better suited to these various tasks.

I'm sure many people would agree, but I'd just like to make the (maybe
academic) case for using groff for a web page. If someone knew groff
and in particular the ms macro set and wanted to generate a simple
html web page, then using groff might be an expedient use of their
time.  For example this web site was created with -mwww and -ms macro
set and a few additions not fed back to the list yet :-(

http://floppsie.comp.glam.ac.uk/Glamorgan/gaius/web/GNUModula2.html

now I'm not advocating this web page as a paradigm of esthetic
greatness, but simply it gets the job done and doesn't seem to look
out of place on the net.. (maybe). For someone familiar with groff -ms
it is as simple as writing a document with .TL, .SH., .LP, .PSPIC.

regards,
Gaius