Re: [Groff] Introduction

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: Re: [Groff] Introduction
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 15:29:54 +1000

On 20/10/2005, at 1:04 PM, Larry Kollar wrote:

Working down the backlog...

I spend my days writing large, complex, highly-technical
documents in Word for this reason.  It's quite ugly, but
we have to have documents that sales people and engineers
and such can extract and "repurpose"...  And young engineers
don't know how to roff any more than the salespeople do ;-(

I've been fiddling with OpenOffice lately. It's not a beauty, but it's
sturdy and does a pretty good job importing & exporting Word
files. I've literally had cases where OpenOffice had better luck
with a seriously gnarly Word file than did Word itself.

There is a saying: "My wife and my credit card are a deadly combination."
Fortunately this does not apply to me.
However, *roff and PostScript really ARE a deadly combination.
I am sure that this duo beats Word & Co any time by a large margin.
You stay at source level, your files are a tiny fraction of a Word file, it prints in a tiny fraction of time, and it looks exactly how you would like it to look.
And you can make it into a pdf easily.

I'm sorry to post an attachment here but I think that an example helps to make an important point.
Somewhat complex, highly technical, without Word.
Yeah, you need to learn *roff and PS. Don't you have to learn Word?