Re: [Groff] Localization question

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Localization question
Date: Sat, 12 Nov 2005 16:46:30 +0100 (CET)

> > . I would define *all* strings of general importance as
> >   `french-xxx', for example `french-references' or
> >   `french-monday', even if only a single package uses them.
>
> Done.

Perhaps it helps to sort them alphabetically...

> > . To read the French hyphenation patterns you have to set up the
> >   character codes, similar to TeX.  Please use the following (in
> >   latin-9 encoding) before calling `.hla' and `.hpf' in fr.tmac:
> >
> >     .ss 12 0
>
> Can you please explain me why the ss request is needed for
> hyphenation?

It isn't, but you have to change it for correct French typography,
AFAIK.

> I splitted fr.tmac in two files: fr.tmac and trans.tmac.  The idea
> is to separate locale dependant and locale independant stuffs.  This
> way other languages can be added just by creating new files similar
> to fr.tmac (de.tmac for german, el.tmac for greek, ...)

Nice!  Have you actually tested the French hyphenation patterns I've
sent?

Finally, can you write a small documentation file, say, README.fr?
Maybe you find a better file name...