[Groff] Re: begin page blues

From: Miklos Somogyi
Subject: [Groff] Re: begin page blues
Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 04:17:36 +1100

On 19/02/2006, at 1:38 AM, Miklos Somogyi wrote:

Dear Experts,

There's something that drives me crazy.

If I start a page with something indented, it gets printed 1v lower than otherwise.
What is this "first line is different" thing?
Can you save me from the asylum (or vice versa)?

PS: I use the "me" macros and have tried .br and .rs with no luck.

PS: Sorry, I've found out that this is not an indentation problem after all. There is a "unlawful" space that produces a linefeed when the indent is defined.

My groff file defines this an' that, calls .bp, calls a macro \Y[grid] that draws a grid in PS
to check out the layout. Then comes text with/without indentation.

The unlawful space seems to come from the grid macro and the problem can be solved with .sp -1
after the \Y[grid] call.
However, it would be good to know the how and why of this space (bug/feature).
Especially that there could be cases with no such easy solution.

Here's an artificial example just to see the extra space at work:

.vs  0.85c
.ps 20
.ft CR
.sp 10
\X'ps: exec 1 0 0 setrgbcolor'
\X'ps: exec 0 0 0 setrgbcolor'
Hello1 Hello2 Hello3

Here the red Hello2 Hello3 are one space to the right of the black ones.
Does anyone know the how and why of this space?