[Groff] tbl: Standard column width?

From: Daniel Leidert
Subject: [Groff] tbl: Standard column width?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:38:56 +0100

I would like to know, if there is a standard column width, when I use
the .TS macro? The problem is, that the result of the following code is
wrapped text in the second column (independent from MANWIDTH), even if I
use expand:

expand allbox;
T}      T{
Disable AGP 4x (forces 8x).
T}      T{
Disable AGP 8x (forces 4x).

The second column is always wrapped after 22/23 chars [1]. Is this
intended behaviour? I mean, there is so much space left so the column
content could show this in one line and only wrap, if MANWIDTH is
reached. Is it a groff or a man issues?

[1] I know I could change the minimum column width with the 'w'
specifier. But if I e.g. set this to 80, the column content does not
wrap even if it reaches the MANWIDTH value.

Regards, Daniel