Re: [Groff] Adding fonts to groff -- instructions?

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: Re: [Groff] Adding fonts to groff -- instructions?
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 10:12:47 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Robert,

On Sat, 11 Mar 2006, Robert Marks wrote:

I have never added a font to groff myself.

Now I want to add an ESSTIX font (which comes with .pfb, .afm, .pfm,
and .ttf files) and the only doc I can find is in the momdoc appendices,
at http://faustus.dyn.ca/mom/momdoc/appendices.html#FONTS
but registration of the new font is Debian-specific.

Are there any more general instructions?  Have I missed some?

acquire the font
 - already done

generate an .afm file for the font
 - you have it
create the groff font
 - afmtodit -e text.enc fontfilename.afm textmap GROFF_FONTNAME
put the groff font in <prefix>/font/devps
 - trivial
make sure gs knows about the font
 - here comes the specific part.
   But there is no need to get involved with distribution-specific fonts
   and printing configuration,
   grops can  automatically  include  the downloadable fonts necessary to
   print the document, see grops(1) for details.
   Basically, you have to
     make pfa file from pfb file,
     put  pfa file it into font/devps folder
     and  list the font in download file.

Since STIX is an effort to create font with a lot of fancy and obscure glyphs, you may like to know, that grops is able to display all glyphs in a PostScript font, not only 256. And the current groff
snapshots are able to teke UTF input.

          Sincerely, Michail

PS.

Note that grops is able to display all glyphs in a PostScript font, not
only 256.  enc_file (or the default encoding if no encoding file speci-
fied)  just  defines  the order of glyphs for the first 256 characters;
all other glyphs are accessed with additional  encoding  vectors  which
grops produces on the fly.

grops  can  automatically  include  the downloadable fonts necessary to
print the document.  Such fonts must be in PFA format.  Use  pfbtops(1)
to  convert  a Type 1 font in PFB format.  Any downloadable fonts which
should, when required, be included by grops must be listed in the  file
/opt/local/share/groff/1.19.3/font/devps/download;  this should consist
of lines of the form
              font filename
where font is the PostScript name of the font, and filename is the name
of the file containing the font; lines beginning with # and blank lines
are ignored; fields may be separated by tabs or spaces;  filename  will
be  searched  for  using the same mechanism that is used for groff font
metric files.  The download file itself will also be searched for using
this mechanism; currently, only the first found file in the font path is used.