Re: [Groff] PS printing

From: M Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] PS printing
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:27:19 -0500

On Sat, Mar 11, 2006 at 07:58:04AM +0300, Michail Vidiassov wrote:
> And the real question behind the poll is what version of the Adobe metrics
> to use - PostScript 2 or PostScript 3.
>
> If a considerable part of the grops output is handled by hardware,
> then we have to be conservative and use PS 2 fonts.
>
> On the other hand, PS 3 version has more glyphs and is likely to
> be supported by PS/PDF software (ghostscript, Acrobat Reader, host fonts)
> and some modern hardware.

OK.  My take is that the question really is:

        does the default groff change from PS 2 to PS 3 and cause things that
        used to work "just like I wanted it to" change
   or
        does the default groff stay as it was and the PS 3 fonts only be set as
        the default by those who know figure out to do it.

Is that what is being discussed?

My HP LaserJet 2200d uses HP PCL 6 and PostScript 2 emulation (as documented by
the test page).  I'm not sure what that means since the file(1) command reports
my groff-generated *.ps files as
        PostScript document text conforming at level 3.0

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems

 973 822-2085   call to arrange Fax