Re: [Groff] tbl: Standard column width?

From: walter harms
Subject: Re: [Groff] tbl: Standard column width?
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2006 11:34:43 +0100

asume we create a datasheet from a database entry.
normaly you have line of "right" lenght (meaning they do not spoil the layout). So your document is nice untill someonly realy uses the max size in the database.
A simple version (read you know there is a large line) can be found at
/proc/cpuinfo most lines fit nicely on one line. but the flags entry
(e.g. mine) can be quit large.

/* larges line: */
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm pbe pni monitor ds_cpl cid xtpr
/* second larges */
model name      : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz

Having a maximum size here would prevent an spoiled layout.

re,
 walter

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
i have noticed the problem also (mostly fixing the problem by adding
T{ to every line. a max width sepcifierer would be helpfull.
(forcing a wrap ?)

I don't really understand.  Please give an example.