[Groff] Re: Adding fonts to groff

From: Michail Vidiassov
Subject: [Groff] Re: Adding fonts to groff
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2006 12:18:13 +0300 (MSK)

Dear Werner and All,

while playing with PS fonts I have used printafm.ps file
to get font metrics from PS printer or PS engine.
It was originally written by James Clark (as groff itself)
and later bundled with ghostscript.
I have changed it a little to allow it to work with fonts
with more then 256 glyphs and removed ghostscropt-specific parts.

Now one can change the font queried in the last lines of the file
and use it with ghostscript
gs -q -dNODISPLAY printafm.ps > Times-Roman-GS.afm or with a networked HP printer
nc LaserJet 9100 < printafm.ps > Times-Roman-HP.afm

It may be used together with afmdiff.awk from ghostscript
to check if the fonts really used by your printing system are the
same as the ones groff font files describe.

Sincerely, Michail PS. Werener, you were going to have an interrogation session with your
LaserWriter, were not you?