Re: [Groff] Diversion of formatted text

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Diversion of formatted text
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 22:39:22 +0200 (CEST)

> I suspect that `.devicem' is not a macro that one defines outside
> the binary of groff and uses it happily.  I suspect that it is
> something new in the binary.

Yep.

> If so, I need to re-phrase the question: how and where from and in
> what form can someone get hold of the new binary.

Aah, I misunderstood you.

> E.g. those, like me, still on the original Mac groff diet, without
> compilers, etc.  Do I have to upgrade to Tiger, do I have to get
> whatever compilers, etc and running make on sources or a .dmg file
> needs to be downloaded/installed.

I can't answer this since I don't have a Mac.  It's probably easiest
that you tell us the exact version of your OS, and a good guy on this
list builds groff for you so that you can simply install it.

On the other hand, I have the impression that it is not too difficult
to install the GNU C and C++ compilers together with the necessary
utility programs, given that OS X and successors are basically a Unix
system with a nice surface.  What about the `Fink' distribution?  Once
you have all necessary programs installed, it's very easy to build
groff from the CVS:

  wget http://groff.ffii.org/groff/devel/groff-current.tar.gz
  tar xzvf groff-current.tar.gz
  cd groff-current