Re: [Groff] Odd problem escaping `.'

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: Re: [Groff] Odd problem escaping `.'
Date: Thu, 04 May 2006 14:49:28 +0200

Keith Marshall wrote:
On Wednesday 03 May 2006 5:25 pm, Louis Guillaume wrote:
Joerg van den Hoff wrote:
sorry to interfere, but \*[SN-DOT], \*[SN-NO-DOT] seem not be there
in groff 1.19.1 (which is what I'm running on my Mac), at least they
don't work and are not present in s.tmac. did they occur only _after_
1.19.1 or what am I missing?
Keith verified off-list that he really meant 1.19.2

Oops. I really wasn't having a very good day yesterday, was I? Guess I hit `Reply' instead of `Reply-to-All', so only Louis saw the reply -- it wasn't intentionally off-list. ;-(
this happens to me in two out of three cases (that I hit `reply' instead of `reply all', I mean :-)).

I'm curious as to why 1.19.2 isn't in Mac OS X or in NetBSD-3.
Maybe it's in -current.

Maybe it's just too new to have made it into the distros yet; 1.19.2 was released for download from gnu.org on 4-Sept-2005, but it then needs some time for the various distro packagers to incorporate it. I don't know how long the lead time is, for Mac OS X or NetBSD.
well, MacOS is commercial and they seem to be reluctant to update things like, e.g., rsync or groff as fast as they could (system updates roll in rather frequently, but groff is still at 1.19.1). as far as I know there are currently two different package management systems for MacOS around: 'fink' and 'Darwinports'. on 'fink', too, the latest available version is 1.19.1. But 'Darwinports' provides 1.19.2. although this is probably not the wisest approach (since many basic libs get installed twice) I use 'fink' and 'DarwinPorts' at the same time without problems (except longer search paths ...) and installed 1.19.2. yesterday to try out the new features (which are nice!).
joerg

Regards,
Keith.