Re: [Groff] Setting different page lengths for troff and nroff

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Setting different page lengths for troff and nroff
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:55:45 -0600

Have you tried ".ifn" and ".ift" (if nroff and if troff)?

as in:

.ift .pl 11i
.ifn .pl [something else]

I don't know about eliminating page breaks in nroff because I've
never needed that, but the .ifn and .ift were used frequenly in the
man macros when I was at HP (originated with AT&T troff macros).

Clarke

Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
I have a design document that I need to output in two forms: as a
properly typeset PostScript file (troff) and in plain text (nroff).  I
want the latter not to have page breaks.  I've tried a number of
things, but I have two problems:

1.  I can't find a number register than I can tweak to change the page
    height.  The ones I find are read-only and can only be set from
    the command line.

2.  The document contains footnotes.  If I do set a large page size
    from the command line, I have to guess it exactly, or I end up
    with a footnote separated from the rest of the document by a lot
    of white space.

Any ideas?  I'm looking for a solution to my original problem, but it
would also be nice to know how to reset page height from within a
document.

Greg
--
Finger address@hidden for PGP public key.