Re: <OK> Re: [Groff] The permuted index from Hell

From: M Bianchi
Subject: Re: <OK> Re: [Groff] The permuted index from Hell
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 11:20:38 -0400

On Fri, Jun 16, 2006 at 10:49:05AM -0400, Larry Kollar wrote:
> Werner LEMBERG wrote:
>
> >> What started that was my early experiences with unix where I went
> >> to the permuted index and looked for "rename a file".  I was not
> >> plesed when the only thing I could find is the rename(2) system call.
> >
> > For groff.texinfo, I manually add permuted index entries.  I really
> > doubt (as others do on this list) that it can be done automatically in
> > a sensible way.
>       :

ptx(1) is one of my favorite lost and found tools.  It took me a while back in
the 1970s to figure out what it was about.  Then I built a shell script or
two to extract headings and captions from  troff -mm  documents and have never
looked back.  The trick is to make the Section, Figure, Table, Equation and
other headings say meaningful things.  Then the permuted index is a joyeous
thing when _I_ am lost in my own printed documents.  "Did I write about glurp?"
Yep, there it is.

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems