Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page

From: Joachim Walsdorff
Subject: Re: [Groff] multiple EPS images placed on a page
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 17:54:24 +0100

Dean Allen Provins schrieb:
Readers:

For the record, HDTBL works just fine.  I ended up with code like the
following (for A0 paper):

  .po    1c
  .sp   |0.5c
  .TBL cols=12 width='9.7c'
  .ll    116c
  .pl    116c
  .TR
  .TD
  .PSPIC file.eps 9.7c
  .TD
  ....  more .TD, .PSPIC lines
  .TR
  .TD
  .PSPIC anotherfile.eps 9.7c
  .TD
  .nop  \" when no EPS file is needed here
  .ETB

And executed groff as:

  groff  -mhdtbl  -P-l -P-p -PA0 file.ms > file.ps

to get a nice landscape plots with a maximum of 12 columns (some had no
EPS files).

The only concern was a multitude of error messages:

  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: Table width larger than column width.
To avoid this warning You must a) place the .ll request before .TBL and b) increase the linelength a little, because 12x9.7 is 106.4.
  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: multiplication overflow
  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: division by zero
These messages result from a bug in hdtbl.tmac. (I didn't test with extreme long lines.) I will look for it as soon as possible.
    --- last 2 lines repeated many times ---
  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: multiplication overflow
  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:24: division by zero
  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:29: numeric overflow
  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:31: numeric overflow
  MANNVILLE_BLUESKY-GLAUCONITE.ms:33: numeric overflow
    --- last line repeated to the end of input ---

where line 24 was the .TBL line above, and lines 29, 31, 33 and all
PSPIC lines thereafter were the 'numeric overflow' lines.

None seemed to do any harm, but clearly there is a problem.

Regards and thanks for the help,

Dean