Re: [Groff] doclifter on groffer.man

From: Larry Kollar
Subject: Re: [Groff] doclifter on groffer.man
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 14:32:44 -0500

When the slime is replaced back to reason more will come.
Interesting sentiment.  Very German.
Hey, he is not the only German participating here.

Which I think might have something to do with the heat level. I've been on this list for a while, and I know Bernd isn't ignorant. He may have occasional language bobbles, but I wouldn't do 1% as well trying to express myself in German.

Reading the discussion, I feel like Bernd's objection is based on a perception that ESR wants to *replace* groff -man with DocBook, where I believe he wants to use DocBook as an *interchange* format for all system documentation. Having looked at DocBook (and worked with XML in general) myself, I believe that interchange (rather than authoring) is its best use. In other words, write your documentation in whatever markup you're comfortable with and translate it to the interchange format.

I hope that helps to clear up any misunderstandings.

--
Larry Kollar     k  o  l  l  a  r  @  a  l  l  t  e  l  .  n  e  t
Unix Text Processing: "UTP Revival"