Re: [Groff] Status of the portability work, and plans for the future

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Groff] Status of the portability work, and plans for the future
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 03:22:18 -0500

Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>:
> > You wouldn't happen to know of mappings for the bracket pile
> > graphics, would you?
>
> What do you think about looking into groff_char also, not just
> lifting? :-)

I've studied it pretty carefully, actually.  How else do you suppose I built
the translation tables in doclifter?

> All I know Unicode mapping is already in this file.

Sigh...I rather expected that was what you were going to tell me.  Oh
well, after you pulled HORIZONTAL LINE EXTENSION out of your hat it
seemed worth asking.

> Currently, I have a lot to do with my real job (and this will continue
> for a few weeks), and I have also to prepare a new FreeType release,
> and...

Meanwhile, I've converted two files in my copy of the CVS tree to use
.SY and .OP; pdfroff.man and troff.man.  It wasn't very hard.  If
these are typical, the cleanup job may not be quite as nasty as I
feared.

Oh, and I've managed to hack .SY so it produces a nice hanging indent,
too.  The synopses look as good now as they did with the complicated
macros, unlike my first attempt.

There's a third now; .YS, meant to be used at the end if a Synopsis
section.  It just restores normal indent and adjustment and
hyphenation.

I'm validating with doclifter as I go.  .SY/.OP./.YS are all
doclifter-safe, and I'm fairly sure they're viewer-portable as well.

I'm thinking I'll probably create a small groff.tmac file for these new
groff-page extensions.