[Groff] ChangeLog entries

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] ChangeLog entries
Date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 14:58:20 +0100 (CET)

Eric,

I'm not very comfortable with your editing of ChangeLog entries `a
posteriori': The entries should represent the changes to the CVS in a
chronological order.  It's OK for me to edit the entries so that the
changes of a day or so are properly accumulated (since you tend to
handle CVS similar to, say, git -- this is, committing changes as fast
as possible).  However, the idea of the ChangeLog file is that a user
can look up the changes in a few years by simply comparing the
differences of two date stamps.  At least this is my point of view.

My normal approach is to document the changes I've done as a ChangeLog
entry; then, while committing, I simply reuse the ChangeLog entry for
the commitment's message.  Of course, this should only be done for
changes which actually deserve a ChangeLog entry.