Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?

From: Jeff Zhang
Subject: Re: [Groff] How to add chinese font for groff?
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 20:19:02 +0800

On 3/14/07, Gunnar Ritter <address@hidden> wrote:

"Jeff Zhang" <address@hidden> wrote:

> And I also tried Heirloom Documentation Tools, it seems just works for
> normal otf file not for my generated pfb file to produce utf8 contained
> file.

This is because the OpenType font contains a Unicode mapping
table (i.e. a table that says "U+E046 is named Q.alt" etc.).
Such tables get lost when an OpenType font is converted to
Type 1 since the latter format lacks support for them. For
Type 1, troff currently has internal mappings defined for
Latin and Cyrillic characters only.

thanks very much for the explanation!
I've also tested with ttf file (I'm an newbie to troff)like:

.do xflag 3
.lc_ctype zh_CN.utf8
.fp 1 R STXingKai ttf
.fp 0 T STXingkai ttf
.ft T
中文

It also gives error:
troff:  Can't load font...

maybe it duce to the ttf file, I'm not very sure.