[Groff] Compliments----

From: John Rupley
Subject: [Groff] Compliments----
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 14:48:40 -0700

May I complement you and your colleagues and thank you all for the GNU troff suite. It is obviously excellently done.

More to the point for me, it is a godsend. I had used ATT DWB since the early 1980's. One can accumulate a good bit of troff-formatted material over time. A personal copy of DWB (licensed, of course) was ported from system to system. Not too hard, actually. But the utilities showed their age (old PS styles, no HTML, ...) and development had stopped. The macros were quite unpleasant code to read. Upon moving to Macs from one of the "true" Unices (although an Octane remains still chugging away as a mail server), I was envisioning having to let go of DWB and commit to an Adobe product, or whatever. It was a delight and a relief to find groff as part of the standard Mac distribution. Porting documents has been easy. The code works. The extensions are neat. Importantly, the macros you and your colleagues write are nicely structured and are as much a pleasure as troff code can be to read.

Again, thank you.

Best wishes,

John

John Rupley
   address@hidden -or address@hidden
   30 Calle Belleza, Tucson AZ 85716
   (520) 325-4533; fax - (520) 325-4991
   Dept. Biochemistry & Molecular Biophysics,
   Univ. Arizona, Tucson AZ 85721