Re: [Groff] Groff editor.

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] Groff editor.
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 11:29:39 -0600

Use vi or vim (vi improved).  Of course I must admit to some bias
because I "wrote the book on vi" (The Ultimate Guide to the Vi and
Ex Text Editors). :-)  Some even think I'm a "vi bigot".  But it
works very well.

The biggest problem most people have with vi is understanding
"command" and "input" modes.  It's really quite simple, though.
When you start vi, it wants to know what you want to do.  So
give it a command, and it does it.

If you want to add or change existing text, you give it the
command (such as c5w for "change 5 words starting at cursor
location") which switches it to "input" mode so you can input
the new text to be added.  When finished, press [Esc] to go
back to command mode.

Some like emacs.  I don't, but I haven't used it much either.
If you really want some fun, run vi inside a shell script with
input redirected from a file, then in the file containing the
keyboard input, add a line to send the current file in its current
state out to an automated editor such as 'sed' and have sed get
its input from a different command file.  You can do some
unbelievable stuff that way.  I did a complete overhaul of HP's
Unix (HP-UX) Reference Manual in about 5 minutes that way.  A
job that would have taken *months* to do by hand from the keyboard
with vi.

Now for the PC crowd who thinks Microsoft is the answer, do that
with Microsoft Word. :-) :-) :-) Yeah, right...

Actually I wrote the *original* vi book.  The Ultimate Guide is
an edited of that original version but still is 90% my work.  I
don't know if it's still in print or not.  I'm the one who came
up with the title.

Clarke

Karee, Srinivas wrote:
Hi,

        Is there a groff editor available to edit the groff file and
save.

Thanks,
Srinivas.