Re: [Groff] RE: Small bug in groff 1.19.2 footnote number contro

From: Larry Jones
Subject: Re: [Groff] RE: Small bug in groff 1.19.2 footnote number contro
Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2007 21:41:46 -0400 (EDT)

Ralph Corderoy writes:

> In particular, it seems :C is used to indicate :p should be reset on a
> `.H 1'.

Which groff's mm spells ft*clear-at-header; perhaps yet another alias is
in order.  It's set if .FD is called with two arguments (although the
meaning of the second argument doesn't seem to be mentioned on the groff
mm man page), which seems like a better way to achieve the desired
result than mucking about with undocumented internal registers.
However, I've verified that :p and :C both exist (and work as previously
described) in the mm macros that came with DWB on my old SysV/386 3.2
system, so I think adding aliases for them is appropriate.

Most of the mm internal registers were not documented, but many of them
were well known and commonly used.  I think most of the cryptic two
character aliases in the groff mm macros were such undocumented
registers that showed up in people's documents.

-Larry Jones

My dreams are getting way too literal. -- Calvin