Re: [Groff] RE: Small bug in groff 1.19.2 footnote number contro

From: M Bianchi
Subject: Re: [Groff] RE: Small bug in groff 1.19.2 footnote number contro
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:59:37 -0400

On Mon, Sep 17, 2007 at 12:25:20AM +0100, Ted Harding wrote:

> >> The obvious "solution" to that "problem" is to add:
> >>
> >>      .als :p ft*nr
> >>
> >> to the mm macros like is done for other obscure number registers.
> >
> > In case this fixes the problem I'll apply this change to the source
> > file.  Luke, can you verify it?
> >
> >     Werner
>
> I would like to suggest that, before anything is done generally
> in groff, we should get to the bottom of where this ":p" is
> coming from.
>
> I don't have access to macro files for other troffs at the
> moment, but I've browsed around in such documentation as
> I can find, without seeing a reference to a number register
> ":p" in mm. Not that this disproves its existence, since
> a lot of troff documentation (indeed like a lot of groff's)
> doe not refer much to "internal registers"; nor have I got
> access to much documentation!
>
> Perhaps ":p" is specific to a particular version of troff,
> as used by Luke's wife for her thesis. If it's not generic,
> then I doubt we should add too many such "special patches"
> to groff.
>
> So let's wait for Luke to tell us more detail! In particular,
> which "make" of troff, what year, version of mm macros?
>
> Best wishes to all,
> Ted.

I'll state it stronger than Ted did.  Number register  :p  is undocumented in
the "baby blocks" Bell Labs manual from 1980.  Making it an alias to  ft*nr  in
the  mm  macro package just invites some other even more obsure problem when
 :p  shows up in some other place.  (Ah, the bad old days when _all_ tokens in
troff/nroff where 1 or 2 characters!  ... some of the "bugs" I have know.)

The correct solution would be adding documented features to restart various
numbering sequences in  mm .

I volunteered to be an  mm  maintainer a couple of months ago and then got
buried with business.  I'll look into this, eventually, at least documenting
the  ft*nr  register.

--
 Mike Bianchi
 Foveal Systems