[Groff] Fw: sqrt troubles with eqn

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [Groff] Fw: sqrt troubles with eqn
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 20:56:32 +0200 (CEST)

This mail might be of interest to the groff community.  Is there
someone willing to explore how the PS version of cmex10 could be
integrated into groff to get better scalable delimiters and radical
signs?

    Werner
--- Begin Message --- Subject: Re: sqrt troubles with eqn Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:44:10 +0200 (CEST)
> For -Tdvi, I was not able to find a standalone DVI to PostScript
> converter, and the only to DVI to PDF converters required a
> non-standalone library called kpathsea.

Well, kpathsea can be compiled stand-alone.  However, this isn't
trivial since basically noone needs that.

> I just want to have square root working correctly: it seems as if
> eqn is giving zero width to the radical sign (perhaps with \z\(sr or
> something else) and the upper bar (\z\(rn).

I just can repeat: Both AT&T's and groff's eqn use the standard
PostScript glyph for the square root sign.  It's not possible to get a
better appearance by scaling.

A possible solution to this situation would be to extend groff eqn so
that it uses a larger set of mathematical glyphs which, among others,
contain better shapes for large radical signs and parentheses.  The
`cmex10' font used in DVI mode exists in a PS version also (attached);
it might be a worthwile exercise to add this font to groff (using the
same groff glyph names as provided for `devdvi').

Any takers to experiment with?  As soon as groff finds those glyphs it
uses them...

--- End Message ---