Re: [Groff] groff Image Formats

From: Frank Jahnke
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff Image Formats
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2007 07:44:19 -0700

On Wed, 2007-10-17 at 13:39 +0200, Gunnar Ritter wrote:

> I am not a graphics expert, but from what I have read,
> it is not recommendable to start with JPEG images due
> to their lossy compression. For best results, images
> should not be converted to JPEG until all processing
> has been performed on them.

That's right, but the resolution loss is very minor for these cases.

> > OO.o failed with the conversion -- parts of the image do not appear in
> > the output file -- as did conversion with ImageMagick.
>
> Did you use the "+repage" option of ImageMagick? It
> is an odd feature of it to assemble images without
> adjusting or removing canvas information by default.
> In effect, parts of the result often lie outside the
> canvas. Some programs ignore this information, others
> do not; in the latter case, the image is incomplete.

No -- I am not aware of that option.  Let me give it a try.  The image
is flattened, so I do think the image should be all on one canvas.  But
I am certainly not familiar with the details of the program, and one of
those how is how they count what is in that canvas or not.

> In general, it is rather pointless to request that
> groff -Tps accepts images in formats other than EPS
> since it would have to convert them internally to
> a representation effectively identical to EPS in any
> case. Thus, hacking groff to convert images e.g.
> using the ImageMagick library would lead to exactly
> the same issues you have with calling the ImageMagick
> command line utilities explicitly.

That's a good point.  groff would have to use the same sorts of tools
that I am using outside of the program.

Any idea why groff could not accept an eps file generated by Acrobat?  I
would have thought that Adobe's own product would turn out proper code.

Frank