[Groff] Why is it...

From: Michael Kerpan
Subject: [Groff] Why is it...
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 12:25:40 -0500

...that groff/troff seems to be written off by so many as "obsolete"
and "only useful for man pages", despite the fact that it can do
everything that TeX/LaTeX (seemingly the favored non-WYSIWYG document
processor) can do but while taking up 3 megabytes (as opposed to the
300 or so used by the average TeX install) It can't be ease of use, as
*roff plus -me, -mm or -ms is no harder to use than LaTeX or HTML. It
can't be availability as the *roff family is basically a required
component of any Unix-like system. It can't even be font support,
given that it's MUCH easier to install and use random PostScript fonts
in groff than in TeX... What gives and how can we fix it?