Re: [Groff] Request "cf"

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] Request "cf"
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 18:28:56 +0100 (CET)

> Werner, I get all your e-mails in pairs (with the exact same date),
> a minute or so apart.

Yes, one from the groff list, and one directly from me.  My mailing
program automatically removes such duplicates...

> > Well, PS is not the only output device driver...
> >
> Then it would be good to say in the manual: ".cf is not for ps"

Mhmm.  Why?  I think you got the wrong picture about .cf; actually,
it's a quite useless request for most situations.

> An example: you want a macro to include images in eps format that
> you can manipulate exactly as you want them:
>
> a) you calculate viewport, etc
> b) set-up clipping for the image
> c) prepare for the "image" operator
> d) "file"-in the eps to be processed as current file
> e) draw frame, add text, keep space, whatever
>
> To "file"-in the eps you need to terminate the auxiliary macro.  To
> do anything in e) you need to define another auxiliary macro, where
> you have to duplicate all your viewport calculations, ....
>
> With a diversion based reading-in one could do with one auxiliary,
> no duplications.

I don't understand step d: How can an EPS file be processed as the
current groff file?  The only communication between groff and an EPS
image is the `psbb' request (for step a and b) so that you can set up
the right call to \X'ps: file ...'.