Re: [Groff] RfH: numeric expression expected (got `n')

From: Clarke Echols
Subject: Re: [Groff] RfH: numeric expression expected (got `n')
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 20:39:40 -0700

I looked at the macro definition, and everything in it seems to
be related to testing and defining strings.  Thus I see no reason
why the formatter would complain.  Obviously there must be something
in the file being processed that is causing the problem.

If you can provide the actual input line for each line starting
with ".pN" in your source file, it would be a lot easier to provide
some sort of useful response.

My guess is there's a problem in the argument to the macro on the
lines causing the complaint.

Clarke

Daniel Leidert wrote:
Hello,

I have a problem with man-pages written by the PSI3 projects. Man throws
a warning about a macro the manpage authors wrote.

However I don't know GROFF well enough to track the issue down. All I
can say is, that the warning is thrown for lines with the .pN macro,
which is defined earlier. You can take a look yourself at
http://debian.wgdd.de/temp/cints.1.

These messages are issued by man:
<standard input>:570: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')
<standard input>:571: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')
<standard input>:572: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')
<standard input>:576: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')
<standard input>:580: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')
<standard input>:581: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')
<standard input>:582: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')
<standard input>:587: warning: numeric expression expected (got `n')

If one would be so kind to take a look at it. Maybe you can help to find
the issue.

Thanks in advance,
Regards, Daniel