Re: [Groff] nroff vs. troff conditional using escapes?

From: Michael(tm) Smith
Subject: Re: [Groff] nroff vs. troff conditional using escapes?
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:13:03 +0900

"Michael(tm) Smith" <address@hidden>, 2008-02-26 13:06 +0900:

[quoting Ralph]
> > Use Werner's macro idea but maybe add in
> >
> >     .tr aAbBcCdDeEfFgGhHiIjJkKlLmMnNoOpPqQrRsStTuUvVwWxXyYzZ
> >     .tr aabbccddeeffgghhiijjkkllmmnnooppqqrrssttuuvvwwxxyyzz
> >
> > so you only have to enter one word and have troff turn it into all
> > upper-case.

[...and quoting myself]
> Unfortunately, even if I were to do that, I still have the problem
> that, for the case of handling the text of cross-references, it
> seems like I really need a way to handle toggling of the alternate
> upper/lower versions of strings inline, using escapes instead of
> requests (because, as I mentioned in my reply to Werner, using a
> request can cause undesirable white space to be injected between
> the string and surrounding punctuation).

I'm just following up to say that after guidance from Clarke about
how to use the "\c" escape, I now have a working mechanism that
does what I need and does it as expected -- using a request with
some conditional nroff-or-troff logic in it, as Werner initially
suggested, and within that, using the .tr request to do upper-casing.

I generate a locale-aware argument for the .tr request, based on
the lang value in the DocBook source file my app converts to groff,
and info from the locale files in the DocBook XSL distribution.

So I just wanted to thank you all very much for your guidance and
patience in helping me get it working. I really appreciate it.

  --Mike

--
Michael(tm) Smith
http://people.w3.org/mike/