Re: [Groff] Devps unmatched metrics

From: Gunnar Ritter
Subject: Re: [Groff] Devps unmatched metrics
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 22:24:08 -0700

Tadziu Hoffmann <address@hidden> wrote:

> The neat thing about groff's way of having the (editable)
> metrics file separate from the actual font file (as opposed
> to, say, a system where the metrics are read directly from a
> not-so-easily-editable truetype or opentype font file), is that
> it is extremely easy to adjust things like the subscript kern
> for individual letters or to add new kerning pairs.

With this I disagree (not with the feasibility, but with
it being good software design). It means that in order to
reproduce a document, you have to distribute the metrics
as well. It also means that automatic kerning is restricted
to the glyphs of a single font. These were the main reasons
why I introduced the ".kernpair" request in Heirloom troff.

Gunnar