[Groff] tbl is not flexible to adjust itself according to page layout

From: zhangweiwu
Subject: [Groff] tbl is not flexible to adjust itself according to page layout
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2008 00:01:53 +0800

Hello. One issue with tbl is it does not warp the line of text within
table cells unless explicitly warped around using T{ and T}. If the page
is too narrow to hold the table, the table simply expands to outside of
the page. This is probably less flexible than HTML where the table is
always trying to linewrap its content to fit in page narrow-ness.

Is there no other way than wrapping content with T{ and T}? Having these
wrappers makes the source code difficult to read for my super-large
table, and I have to wrap every cell because I don't know which one
might cause the table to expand outside of page right margin. My
document is a 10 page table, difficult to manage. A try-and-error
approach (print it out, check which cell is too wide, wrap only that
cell with T{ T}) is too time consuming and is not following the basic
principle of using a computer (to let computer does repetitive work
instead of human).

Searched tbl manual without luck yet.

Thanks in advance for suggestions & comments.