Re: [Groff] groff -mm output something I don't expect

From: Luke Huang
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff -mm output something I don't expect
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2008 19:38:16 -0500 (EST)

Wow,  there were  so many  masters  of troff/groff  answering my  stupid
question. Thanks a lot.

You  are all  right,  ``mm'' macro  of  the newest  groff has  *NOTHING*
wrong. However,  current version of evince  does its job  as well. After
one  day's inverstigation,  I found  the problem  is caused  by  the old
``mmt'' macro shipped with OpenSolaris.

So, why  does groff use the old  ``mmt'' instead of its  m.tmac. I found
that  when I  run ``configure  ;  make ;  make install'',  if there  are
already  macros under  /usr/share/lib/tmac,  groff will  not generate  a
m.tmac    file,    instead,     it    always    uses    ``mmt''    under
/usr/share/lib/tmac. As a workaround, I run ``groff -mgm hello.mm'' that
generate an expected postscript file.  The different between two ps file
are:

$ diff hello.ps ~/tmp/hello.ps
3c3
< %%CreationDate: Fri Nov 14 17:07:26 2008
---
> %%CreationDate: Fri Nov 14 11:24:46 2008
233,234c233,234
< /F0 10/address@hidden SF 524.18(-- --)0 10 R 2.5(-1-)277.006 58 S
< (Hello w)69.336 106 Q(orld!)-.1 E 524.18(-- --)0 801.5 R 0 Cg EP
---
> /F0 10/address@hidden SF 2.5(-1-)277.006 48 S(Hello w)69.336 96 Q(orld!)
> -.1 E 0 Cg EP

You can see that, the ``mmt'' version has a line:

/F0 10/address@hidden SF 524.18(-- --)0 10 R 2.5(-1-)277.006 58 S

this results in the two short bars I mentioned.

Another  workaround might  be ``mv''  or ``rm''  /usr/share/lib/tmac and
then  build groff,  from then  on, groff  will always  use its  mm macro
package.

The ``mmt'' macro shipped with  Heirloom generates the two short bars as
well. To  me it seems that  this macro has  this issue for a  long time.
suprisingly,  nobody  has complained  about  or  asked  this issue.

Thanks again
Luke