Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [Groff] GNU Bazaar import of Groff
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 08:04:18 +0100 (CET)

> I thought some of you might be interested to know that there's now a
> rolling import of Groff's CVS repository into GNU Bazaar
> (http://bazaar-vcs.org/), thanks to Michael Hudson and others at my
> employer, Canonical.

Nice!  On the other hand, I would have used git...

> Sorry about the "Filler changeset" cruft occupying a block of
> revisions near the end of the branch. This is because several files
> in CVS have their default branch set to something other than MAIN,
> probably due to use of vendor branches, and this is how cscvs keeps
> track of those.

This is indeed very ugly.

> I don't think it'll create any significant number more of them as
> time goes on - probably none, if vendor branches aren't used again
> and if I've understood cscvs' innards correctly.

Honestly, I can't remember that I've ever used a vendor branch!
Additionally, I can't recognize the usefulness of the various entries.
For example, what's the difference between rev. 1859 and 1857?  Both
appear to be empty.  Are you sure that this isn't a bug in the
conversion program?

> Feel free to make use of this import as you wish, including
> mirroring the branch elsewhere, or even switching to it for Groff
> development if you'd like :-) (in which case I guess you'd want to
> host it on Savannah).

As said earlier, I prefer git, and reading the emacs mailing list,
there are (still) good reasons for that.  Is there already a GNU bzr
server?  I know that git is already supported at gnu.org.