Re: [Groff] groff as a library?

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] groff as a library?
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 12:04:40 +0000

Hi Michail,

> is there any library that works like groff - accepts a "rich" text,
> fonts (or font descriptions) and outputs the positions the glyphs are
> to be displayed at?

`groff -Z' produces that, doesn't it?  See groff_out(5) for the format.

> The use I have in mind is typesetting labels in 3D models, where the
> actual output of glyphs as 3D meshes is done by the main program, not
> by the library.
>
>             Sincerely, Michail
>
> The other approach is to print to bitmap and use it as a texture.  I
> know about it, but "vector" text sometimes may be better.

Ah, -Z output says to put "hello" over here, it doesn't describe the
curves required to stroke the letter `h', `e', etc.  That would seem to
be combining groff with something that understands the font definitions.

Cheers,

Ralph.