[Groff] Re: pdfmark - section numbers

From: Keith Marshall
Subject: [Groff] Re: pdfmark - section numbers
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 20:58:45 +0000

On Monday 02 March 2009 13:33:54 Scott Moore wrote:
> I am wondering if it is possible to create a pdf bookmark which does
> not contain a section numbered entry ?

Yes.  The macro call

  .pdfhref O n anything

(or its `pdfbookmark' equivalent), will will label the bookmark with
*exactly* whatever is specified in `anything'; if you do want that to
include section numbers, then you have to include them explicitly.

> Page references are okay, I just do not need section heading
> numbers.

If you want page references, you also have to specify them explicitly.

> Am I correct to say that the example provided takes the .NH and
> passes the section level through to the pdfmark macro ?

What example?  The reference document shows:

   the outline entry for this section of this document, which has
   a level three heading, might be specified as

      .pdfhref O 3  2.4.1. A Basic Document Outline

which creates a level three bookmark labelled `2.4.1 A Basic Document
Outline'.  Yes, that includes a section number, but only because it
has been explicitly included in the label text; that it may have been
previously computed by use of .NH is irrelevant, in the context of
the pdfhref macro call.

> Is the pdfmark.tmac dependent on the ms macro package ?

Not at all; it has no dependency on *any* other macro package.

> Is there a way to turn off section numbering in the table of
> contents ?  I do not need it in my document, nor do I require it in
> TOC.

Well, it doesn't get there, if you don't put it there, (maybe
indirectly, because you've chosen to call a macro which does put
it there).  I'm guessing that you are actually asking about the `XN'
macro, from spdf.tmac, (which does depend on ms, but isn't part of
pdfmark.tmac).  That's really little more than a fairly crude example
of what may be possible, but you aren't obliged to use it.  As I've
written it, it suits the formatting style that I've chosen for the
reference document, but you are free to use it, or not, or to adapt
it to your own needs.

> Also, has anyone put together a more detailed / complete reference
> manual than that provided with groff for pdfmark ?

None that I know of.

> The last few chapters seem to be as yet incomplete.

It is a work in progress; unfortunately, the current demands of my
paid job, and the welfare of my family, leave me less time to work on
it, than I might like.

--

Regards,
Keith.