[Groff] Multi-column format with ms macros

From: Kurt Kehler
Subject: [Groff] Multi-column format with ms macros
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 03:04:04 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to format three columns per page using the ms macros.
However, the first item on the first page in the first column
gets printed lower than the first items in columns two and three,
yet page 2 has the tops of all the columns at the same vertical
position.  I'm using groff 1.20.1.

I have attached the source file and the postscipt output of:
groff -ms source >source.ps

I must be overlooking something but I can't find it.

Thanks,
Kurt Kehler