Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software

From: Joerg van den Hoff
Subject: Re: [Groff] Typesetting Software
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 10:40:25 +0200

On Jun 03 2009 (Wed, 23:53), Jan-Herbert Damm wrote:
> Hello,
>
> thank you everybody for this very interesting thread!!
>
> as someone who came to groff via it's makro-sets (mom in my case): may i ask
> for a short indication on how to accomplish this (or where to find it in TFM):
> > > last  not  least: groff can produce reasonably formatting of ASCII
> > > documents.

you simply select an appropriate output device with the  '-T' option of
'groff'. from the manpage:

       -T dev Set output device to dev.  Contrary  to  troff,  groff  calls  a
              postprocessor  to convert troff's intermediate output to its fi-
              nal format.  Real devices in groff are

                     dvi    TeX DVI format (postprocessor is grodvi).

                     html   HTML  output   (preprocessors   are   soelim   and
                            pre-grohtml, postprocessor is post-grohtml).

                     lbp    Canon CAPSL printers (LBP-4 and LBP-8 series laser
                            printers; postprocessor is grolbp).

                     lj4    HP LaserJet4 compatible (or other PCL5 compatible)
                            printers (postprocessor is grolj4).

                     ps     PostScript output (postprocessor is grops).

              For  the  following  TTY output devices (postprocessor is always
              grotty), -T selects the output encoding:

                     ascii  7bit ASCII.

                     cp1047 Latin-1 character set for EBCDIC hosts.

                     latin1 ISO 8859-1.

                     utf8   Unicode character set in UTF-8 encoding.

the latter 4 send output to TTY. I usually use 'groff -Tlatin1'.

joerg