Re: [Groff] Re: grops and grohtml problems on vista

From: Ralph Corderoy
Subject: Re: [Groff] Re: grops and grohtml problems on vista
Date: Sun, 21 Jun 2009 11:47:09 +0100

Hi Boudewijn,

Returning to your original complaint:
> this command: groff -p hello.pic > hello.ps
> results in: grops<standard input>:4:fatal error: fdopen: Invalid argument
>
> the command: groff -Thtml -p hello.pic > hello.ps
> results in: pre-grohtml:fatal error: fdopen: Invalid argument
>
> the command: groff -Tdvi -p hello.pic > hello.dvi
> does work.

I see that the two that fail have hello.ps in common whereas the one
that works is hello.dvi.  Is it possible that the Windows "shell" (I've
not used Windows so this is a punt in the dark) is having problems
arranging the re-direction out to hello.ps and consequently the fdopen()
is failing inside one of the groff programs?

IOW, is there a hello.ps already present that cannot be overwritten for
some reason?  Another way of testing this would be to see if the command

    groff -Tdvi -p hello.pic > hello.ps

fails when it worked above when re-directing out to hello.dvi.

Cheers,

Ralph.