[Groff] Driver for Panasonic KX-P1123

From: Matthias-Christian Ott
Subject: [Groff] Driver for Panasonic KX-P1123
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 16:27:23 +0200

Hi,
recently I bought a Panasonic KX-P1123 dot matrix printer, which supports
Epson LQ-850 and IBM Proprinter X24 emulation, and I want to a driver/post
processor for groff that uses the printer's internal fonts.

I had a look at the source code yesterday and already wrote some code,
but I realised that better ask some questions at first to get a better
orientation.

What I found out so far: A driver consists of a printer and at least one
font class.

The printer class handles drawing, colouring, typesetting and page
control. None of the emulated protocols supports dithering or drawing
primitives, so I'll have to implement that myself. Typesetting and page
control should be trivial.

Currently it's not clear for me how the driver has to handle fonts and
what its responsibilities are (do I have to implement all functionality
of the font class?).

Regards,
Matthias-Christian