Re: [Groff] pdfroff produces two copies

From: brian m. carlson
Subject: Re: [Groff] pdfroff produces two copies
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 2009 15:17:35 +0000

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 11:16:46AM +0100, Keith Marshall wrote:
> It is working as intended.  It's a bit kludgy, I know, but for the
> time being, if you didn't set it up with a TOC section, *you* have
> to tell pdfroff that there is no such section to collate, by adding
> the --no-toc-relocation option to your command line:
>
>   pdfroff --no-toc test1.tr > test1.pdf
>
> Improving this is on my TODO list, but since it works perfectly well
> when used as I intended, this is not high on my priority list.
>
> BTW, pdfroff is designed to work in conjunction with pdfmark.tmac;
> omitting that seems rather unusual.

Okay.  I read the list, so I was aware that it was intended to make
using the pdfmark package easier; however, I assumed that it would
process regular (non-pdfmark) files as well.  I read the man page to see
if that was the case; since nothing mentioned otherwise, I assumed it
was.  Perhaps a mention in the man page about this might help avoid
unrealistic expectations.

My main motivation for using pdfroff instead of plain groff -Tps is that
ghostscript (and all the document viewers based on it) produces (IMO)
ugly font output when viewing PostScript files in X, whereas poppler
produces nice output for PDF.  I guess I'll go back to piping the output
of groff into ps2pdf.

+1 713 440 7475 | http://crustytoothpaste.ath.cx/~bmc | My opinion only